Monday, May 6, 2013

MOM'S COMMEMORATIVE BEADED LACE PILLOW

Trish, a member of a online sewing group I am part of, asked for suggestions to make for her mother for Mother's Day. That brought to mind the beaded pillow I had made for my mother. 


There was a bead to represent each person in Mom's life. The head of her life was Jesus Christ, her Saviour. He is represented by the cross in the top corner surrounded by pearls. The large ruby bead below is for my Dad who was the head of this family and always sat at the head of the table.

Mom, herself, is the star and center of the pillow as she was our home.

 A cluster of ruby colored beads and pearls is for each family of my siblings and myself around the bottom.
The larger ruby bead in the center of each group is for each of us and the pearl with each is for our spouse.
This cluster in the left corner is for my sister, Shirley and her husband, Larry, surrounded by beads for their 3 children and 6 smaller beads for their 6 grandchildren.

-this grouping [center, botttom left] represents my brother, Larry, his wife, Delores, their 2 sons and 2 grandchildren.- 

-[center,bottom right] my brother, Jim, his wife, Shirley, their 2 children and 3 grandchildren- 

-sister, Jackie, her husband, Gary, their 3 children and 4 grandchildren plus 2 great, grandchildren [right corner]-

-and my family in the bottom corner with beads for my husband, Len and myself, our 5 children, 9 grandchildren and 12 great, grandchildren

The Bible verse: Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. Prov 31:10,  was the reason rubies were used.
Pearls were sewn beside each ruby bead because we are each a pearl of great price that Jesus paid the ultimate price for:  
 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.
Matt 13:46 

No, the pillow didn't go together over night. There was a lot of planning and preparation in the weeks and months before. I had a lace pillow cover that I wanted to use but scoured my bead catalog until I found just the right beads in the right sizes. 

Birthstones might be a thought instead of the ruby ones I chose for a different look and message. Mom was a deeply religious woman who had asked me to paraphrase Proverbs 31 years before and I guess this is my way of completing her request.

I used the pillow to tell about our "Virtuous Woman" at her funeral services because due to circumstances it wasn't done before she lapsed into a coma but I know she saw it and heard me.

God bless you
Carolyn Wainscott   

No comments:

Post a Comment