Thursday, November 8, 2012

How To Make A 10 Minute, No Sew Canopy For Your Little Princess

This is one of my tutorials featured on Favecrafts.com @ http://www.favecrafts.com/Kids-Room/How-To-Make-A-Quick-No-Sew-Easy-Canopy-For-Your-Princess.

Have you checked out Favecrafts lately? All kinds of tips, techniques, crafts and links to more crafts than we can do in a lifetime. It is one of my favorite sites. 
This canopy is one of those projects I have had in mind for a long time. The chiffon was ordered and received months ago for this and other projects. I got a whole bolt of over 10 yards. Pink never goes to waste around here-I have 6 great granddaughters to create for.

Since I didn't have a bed to hang the canopy over conveniently, it was hung on a pole that was handy. The table and chair were close by and wanted to be in the photo, I thought they looked kind of cute so allowed them to nestle under the quick canopy.

The whole thing took less than 10 minutes-the video is just about the actual time it took to put together. That was better than I had thought. The canopy would take the least time in the whole room and that includes hanging from the ceiling. Check out the video for step by step instructions:


You will need:
7 or 8 yards of fabric-the chiffon I used is about 50" wide
I also used the tulle along with the chiffon for another layer for "fluff"
a 2 piece quilt or embroidery hoop with adjustable outer hoop [any size you have-mine is rather large]
at least 4 "S" hooks
a ceiling hook
wire/chain/ribbon to hang canopy

The canopy will be posted @ www.Craftsy.com to kind of show off a little, I guess and give others ideas for decorating for a little princess. The site gives us crafters and artists a kind of "show & tell" space where we can share our hand made creations and see others' work whether it is crocheted, knitted, quilted, painted, etc., etc., etc.  I discovered the site several months ago through a link on Facebook and have been an avid follower ever since. I receive a daily newsletter telling me about new posts by the crafters that I follow and I also check out all the projects posted by all crafters  several times a week.  

Now there are online classes available plus the opportunity for us independent designers to share our patterns we have developed. The site is wonderful.

www.Craftsy.com's online courses include all crafts. I am taking an online class on paper piecing. It is like having a private instructor in the room with me, any time day or night. I'll be telling you more as I get to sit down and spend more time with the step by step demonstrations.
 

Go take a look around, register to become a member  if you wish. See great handmade work. Share your creations with people who appreciate your work and take advantage of online courses in a new craft or pick up new tips and techniques in a skill you have done for years.

Happy crafting
Carolyn Wainscott 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns for your American Girl doll, quilts and crafts in My Pattern Store on Craftsy @
http://www.craftsy.com/user/pattern/store/43851:

my reversible top pattern is very versatile as are all the separates that mix and match. It is free for you to try:
http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/sewing/toy/ag-reversible-top-by-hannahs-closet/1998

http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/sewing/toy/ag-reversible-skirt-by-hannahs-closet/8465


http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/sewing/toy/ag-reversible-shorts-by-hannahs-closet/8030




1 comment:

  1. This is a great post. I am trying to tackle a huge project. But, for my sake, I will start with a baby step. I loved the idea of the no sew canopy. I am planning on making one for my daughter as well. I hope the project will come easy to me. http://www.awningsla.com/Canvas_Awnings_Aluminum_Canopies_Bellflower_CA.html

    ReplyDelete