Thursday, November 29, 2012

MY FLOOR LAMP CHRISTMAS TREE

Yep, you heard right-a Christmas tree made from an old floor lamp.
The whole thing kind of took root when I saw this huge, gorgeous Christmas tree in a mall. It seemed to be just all assorted Christmas balls all piled into the shape of the tree. There must have been 1000's of them but I loved it and thought at some time, maybe when I won the lottery or something, I would try to duplicate it in some way. 
OK, after Christmas last year, walked into Goodwill and lo and behold, all the Christmas stuff was really, really cheap so I loaded up my car with as many boxes of ornaments as I could carry and ran home to take a stab at making the mall tree. Thing being- I was just a few 1000 short. 
So what do you do- improvise. 
I found this old floor lamp in storage, got out some ribbon [or it was probably just a roll that hadn't been put away if truth be told], a hula hoop that one of the kids had left [the idea was good but it didn't work, it was not heavy enough-so more improvision],  and a hole punch.

Here is what I started with:


Holes were punched into the ribbon to attach the ornaments cut then into strips that would double over a round to fit over the lamp

Then all the ribbon strips were attached to the bottom ring, ornaments attached and and angel [also not yet put away] stuck on top.
This is what I ended up with:
Actually, no where near the mall tree but it was ok.  I found these photos while looking for something else and decided to share my after last year's Christmas craziness. It lights from the inside since the floor lamp actually does work. 
hhhmmmmm! this just gave me another idea on using that old floor lamp. So glad I didn't get rid of it. I think it is one that I got at an auction for maybe $1. 
Maybe that guy, Jeff Foxworthy, is right-if you have a stash of old floor lamps, cardboard tubes, glues, ribbons, yarns, fabrics, threads, empty spools, empty oatmeal and salt boxes, empty ice cream buckets, etc., etc., etc., you just might be a craft hoarder. 

Anyway, I have a great time crafting, hope you do, too
Happy Crafting
Carolyn Wainscott

No comments:

Post a Comment