Friday, April 13, 2012

Take A Photo-Put It On Fabric

If you have been thinking about taking those treasured old photos and making a Memory Quilt, I hope this will make the thought less daunting and help you get started. Getting started is the hardest part.  Don't let the thought of a few more steps in preparation stop you. Just think of the end result-a one of a kind, spectacular, instant heirloom that tells its own story. I think the most fun part is going through the photos, It is a trip down memory lane.

Needing to come up with a wedding/house warming gift had me dragging out the equipment for a wallhanging. I don't want to make it sound as though it is drudge work so am sharing the step by step in the following video which is featured on:

FaveQuilts.com

 @  http://www.favequilts.com/Special-Occasion-Quilts/How-to-Make-a-Photo-Quilt-Part-1-Preparing-Fabric which includes a printable set of instructions @ http://youtu.be/34QJzZ8ymZk.
An earlier post on April 22, 2011, http://carolynscanvas.blogspot.com/2011/04/making-photo-quilt.html , featured multi-generation family quilts that were a collaboration of whole families sharing their photos with the complete process also.

I never got around to the actual photo printing which is coming up, I promise.


I am not a computer wizard, far, far from it but I will be touching on cutting, pasting, and collaging my photos to be printed on fabric. I use an old, outdated program that is no longer available because I haven't taken the time to learn Photoshop. I am old and set in my ways.

Just a further word [well, several words] about www.FaveQuilts.com, if you haven't checked it out already. FaveQuilts is a great site for free quilt patterns, instructions, video tutorials and links you to everything you want to know in the quilt world.

Happy quilting and God bless you
Carolyn Wainscott

3 comments:

  1. This is EXACTLY what I need to learn ... and right now! I am making a quilt for someone out of their grandma's clothing (it's for the grandaughters who never met her) and I was able to scan some handwritten recipes in Portuguese to transfer onto paper and then incorporate in the quilt.

    You have come into my life in a timely manner, that is not accidental, and can hardly wait to see what you have to share!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, its me again-just checking to see if you would get notice of my reply, below

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue
    I don't think things are accidental either. My next video that should be out this week shows the actual printing which is a snap if you have the photo fabric fixed right which means ironed down securely and all edges sealed so it doesn't jam your printer. I also plan a video which will just show the editing of the photos. My software is old and not available now but I am not comfortable with Photoshop. You go ahead and get the clothing prepared for the quilt in strips or however you plan and the next video will shed more light on the process. If you need any more help, contact me, will be glad to guide you, you will do fine. You can print those recipes onto fabric also to be incorporated into the quilt. Glad I came along at a good time for you, God bless.

    ReplyDelete