Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A QUILTING NECESSITY-MY DESIGN WALL

A design wall is a tool that some may not think of as a necessity for the sewing/crafting room but mine is used almost everyday, sometimes all day when I am working. I like to stand back and see what I am working on. The design wall lets me see the project better than laid out on the floor or bed.
Quilt blocks can be arranged and rearranged on the design wall and fabrics auditioned. It is the most convenient photo backdrop I have used with its neutral cover and easy to pin styrofoam.
The  two piece folding wall that I am using was originally attached to a wall in my former home except there were three pieces of 4'x8' sheets of styrofoam giving me a 12' wall. When we moved, I brought my handy, dandy styrofoam with me and made the portable unit with duct tape. It can be folded up and put behind or under a bed if needed. Mine stands ready for business all the time. It gets moved around all over the sewing room wherever it is needed-next to the cutting table to arrange quilt squares, by the sewing machine so I can reach over and grab the squares in order or a well lit spot for items to be photographed. 
Then there is the small, free-standing board that can sit on the table next to the machine with a small project or a few blocks from a larger one.
Having the design wall was suggested to me by a quilter friend almost 20 years ago. I have used one ever since and am passing along the suggestion to every serious crafter whether it be small or one that spans a whole wall. 
For step by step downloadable instructions for your own design wall go to: http://bit.ly/tdAyxC
While you're there, check out all the other quilting patterns, videos and tutorials at www.FaveQuilts.com.
Here is a quick look at my design wall:
    
 
I hope you find this helpful. The design wall is certainly one of the most useful tools in my sewing room.
 
Join Carolyn's Canvas also on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carolyns-Canvas/151145938331115 if you have any questions or to show us your quilts.  
 
God bless you
Carolyn Wainscott

No comments:

Post a Comment