Monday, June 6, 2011

THINGS WOULD BE SO MUCH EASIER IF I WEREN'T PERENIALLY LOOKING FOR SOMETHING

It seems as though I spend half my life looking for something-a certain fabric, or pattern, or thread or whatever. I could get so much more done if things were where I thought I put them and if my tools didn't keep disappearing. I just laid my scissors right there beside the fabric, now where are they? Is it just me? 
So, I am trying to be more organized, to keep things handy and I am hoping the organizers I have made will help me to be more productive, less aggravated.

THE SEWING CHAIR ORGANIZER
I made this original sewing chair organizer several years ago. It has kept my bobbins and presser feet near for my machines along with other supplies that I didn't want to have to jump and run for or to keep on the sewing table taking up precious space. It has held my machine manuals since I use the same chair for all my sewing. 
At the time, I was participating in workshops having to carry various tools, supplies and notions so the chair organizer was designed with zippers so I wouldn't lose anything. It had a carrying handle which slips over the back of the chair to keep it from sliding and it has a thick cushion because I was having back issues.
The organizer has done me well so I decided to show in the following video how to make a similar one.
-------------------------------------------
 THE WORK TABLE ORGANIZER
My work table is rather high so I don't have to bend so much while working with my fabrics. My intention has been for some time to get things within easy reach but not in the way so the work table organizer was done on the same day as the chair organizer. Now my cutting rulers are handy along with scissors, rotary cutters, rotary blades, pins, etc.


Now that I am so organized, I know that I will get all those planned projects done in zip time, oh, yeah.

Many other craft tutorials along with the sewing chair and work table organizers can be seen on http://favecrafts.com/ 
---------------------------------
Since I am on the subject of sewing, I must tell you one on my mother. Now Mom is an extremely bright woman but being a domestic diva has not been her area of expertise. She taught herself to read when she was 3 or so from her older brother's "primer". In fact, you can read a little about her in my post "NO CALICO, NO SLIVERS OF SOAP".
Mom always worked and helped Dad support our family but it still sticks in her "craw" that her snide sisters-in-law poked fun when she didn't have a "button box". It seems they always had one at the ready with needle and thread for those button missing emergencies and my Dad thought that was the ultimate in domestic divadom for some reason.
One Sunday morning, Dad decided he would wear a certain sportcoat to church but it had a button missing on the sleeve. It wasn't as though he didn't have other suits or coats- no- he had many but that was the one he was going to wear and he wanted a button sewn on.
Now what do you do when you don't have a button box, why, you just do what a devious, non button box owner does. Why, you cut a button off another of the many sport coats in the closet and sew it on this one that this stubborn person insists on wearing this morning. Mom still chuckles to herself over pulling this on Dad and he never knew how out of fashion he was by wearing a button from another jacket. 
Of course, Mom has a lot of explaining to do when she gets to heaven and he asks her about her button box. Poor Dad, he had such burdens to bear. 
-----------------------------------------
 I think I can claim the title of "Domestic Diva" because I have not just a box of buttons but jars of buttons with a thimble, needles and spool of thread always at the ready in case of a button emergency. Now I know that a button box is not the only criteria to be a true diva. Being a good cook is another and I am a good cook also but I like plain, quick, easy recipes and I am a chocoholic. 
The following recipe is the best Hot Fudge Topping I have ever eaten and it is quick and easy. I have made this one for over 20 years. The recipe is given as I have it written but I always at least double it, usually triple so I don't run out so soon.

HOT FUDGE TOPPING
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa
2 tablespoons flour
1/8 teasoon salt
2/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Makes about 1 1/2 cups

In 4 cup measure or small bowl, combine sugars, cocoa, flour and salt. Stir in milk and syrup, then butter. Microwave at high 2 to 4 minutes or until mixture boils; stir well.
Microwave 2 to 5 minutes or until desired thickness and a rich chocolate color, stirring every 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Serve hot or at room temperature.
----------------
Happy Homemaking
Carolyn Wainscott

No comments:

Post a Comment