Tuesday, June 7, 2011

MAKING QUICK, QUIRKY ACCESSORIES

 I guess at heart I am a true, dyed in the wool, southwestern style, feathers and bead loving old hippie and the hatband with matching earrings that I have made prove it.

I wanted something patriotic with feathers and beads and as the hatband began to take shape the song "Yankee Doodle" started going through what mind I have left.
 "Yankee Doodle went to town
riding on a pony
stuck a feather in his hat
and called it macaroni"
So that is how the Yankee Doodle Hat Band got its name. It is easy and quick to make.
I have yet to figure out what macaroni has to do with a feather or his hat, or his pony.

-THE YANKEE DOODLE HATBAND-

-MATCHING YANKEE DOODLE EARRINGS-
Surely, every self respecting Yankee Doodle Hat Band needs matching Yankee Doodle Earrings, don't you think?
Making jewelry is not one of my best ventures. I use beads to embellish my quilts and wallhangings so I do pick beads and findings that are of interest whenever I see them. You never know when you might have need for a spectacular focal point. Of course, that is the justification for all those lovely things squirreled away for future use and you never know, one bead could be the inspiration for a whole design.

At any rate, I hope you have fun with these if you decide to make them. 

Check out these and many other craft videos and tutorials @ http://favecrafts.com/.

Blog Hop Button Finished on the 15th: FaveCrafts Blog Hop for June
-------------------------
Since my maid has not showed up for work for quite some time now, I cannot spend all my time in my sewing room. For some reason, husband dear thinks there should be meals on the table and the house reasonably kept- not to mention a few clean clothes every now and again.  I keep telling him he can turn his underwear inside out and wear them another week but that doesn't work any more. 
As I've told you before, my domestic divadom does include cooking and am sharing some of my favorite recipes. The Hot Fudge Topping was in yesterday's post and today I am including my next fave, my Butterscotch Topping,  which is just as easy and quick. As with the Hot Fudge Topping, this recipe is doubled or tripled every time I make it-might as well get more done in the same amount of time!

BUTTERSSOTCH TOPPING
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1/4 cup butter or margarine
dash of nutmeg [optional]
makes about 1 1/2 cups
In 1 1/2 quart mixing bowl, combine brown sugar and flour. Stir in milk and syrup, then butter. Microwave at high 2 to 4 minutes, or until mixture boils; stir well. Microwave 3 1/2 minutes. Stir in nutmeg. Serve warm.
-----------
Since we eat a lot of ice cream around here, we have a lot of those nice plastic containers. I use them for storing leftover soups, chilis and beans in the freezer and also for sending them home with the kids-my good containers would never be seen again if they went out the door. I also use them as organizers for my craft paints and things. You can see those in a former post where I show how to make a "Repurposed Organizer". 
----------------------
Happy Homemaking
Carolyn Wainscott

No comments:

Post a Comment